An 83-year-old resident of a skilled nursing facility presents to the emergency department with generalized edema of extremities and abdomen.
Advanced Pathophysiology Scenario
Week 1 Scenario: An 83-year-old resident of a skilled nursing facility presents to the emergency department with generalized edema of extremities and abdomen. History obtained from staff reveals the patient has a history of malabsorption syndrome and difficulty eating due to lack of dentures. The patient has been diagnosed with protein malnutrition.
Post an explanation of the disease highlighted in the scenario you were provided. Include the following in your explanation:
· The role genetics plays in the disease.
· Why the patient is presenting with the specific symptoms described.
· The physiologic response to the stimulus presented in the scenario and why you think this response occurred.
· The cells that are involved in this process.
· How another characteristic (e.g., gender, genetics) would change your response.
Step 1: Write a one to two page paper on osteoarthritis.
Discuss what type of disease it is.
Include what types of anatomy is affected in osteoarthritis
Describe the physiological characteristics found in patients with osteoarthritis.
Explain treatment options for patients with osteoarthritis.
Assignment Expectations for Grading:
1. Demonstration of critical thinking, scholarship, and ability to connect and apply the material
2. Comprehensiveness and completeness of your responses
3. Adherence to the written instructions
4. Spelling and grammar
5. Provide 3-5 APA Style References to support your paper.
Step 2: Save and Submit your assignment