Critically analyse and demonstrate advanced client centred skills through the ability to assess and consult effectively with patient/clients, parents and carers
- Assimilate, synthesise and systematically apply knowledge of the relevant pathophysiology and undertake a thorough history, including medication history and current medication (including over-the-counter, alternative and complementary health therapies) and use advanced reasoned judgement to inform diagnosis, engaging in critical reflection throughout the process.
- Synthesise evidence from a range of sources to demonstrate advanced reasoned judgement in the safe and competent use of diagnostic clinical equipment and synthesise results with other forms of evidence to inform advanced critical decision making.
- Demonstrate advanced client centred skills when conducting relevant physical and / or psychological examination of patients with those conditions for which they may prescribe, critically reflecting on the process ensuring that this is undertaken in a non discriminatory manner.
- Synthesise knowledge from a range of sources to demonstrate the ability to prescribe clinically effective, cost effective, safe and appropriate medications into the context of patients’ wishes and values in prescribing decisions being cognisant of how equality and diversity impacts on practice.
- Engage in the essential debates relevant to legislation and common law that inform the practice of non medical prescribing.
- Critically evaluate and synthesise sources of information/advice used in decision making support systems in prescribing practice.
- Use advanced reasoning and decision making skills to critically evaluate the internal and external influences that can affect prescribing practice, and demonstrate advanced understanding by managing prescribing practice in an ethical way at individual, local and national level.
- Synthesise evidence from a range of sources to demonstrate the ability to safely monitor response to therapy, and justify modifications to treatment or the referral of the patient as appropriate, critically evaluating the process.
- Critically determine and evaluate the roles and relationships of others involved in prescribing, supplying and administering medicines including the pharmaceutical industry.
- Systematically analyse the decision making process supporting prescription and referral as a multi – professional team member.
- Critically determine and defend a clinical management plan within legislative requirements (supplementary prescribing only).
- Use advanced reasoning in the determination, development and acquisition of advanced clinical skills to demonstrate application of in depth knowledge of drug actions in prescribing practice including safe, accurate numerical calculations.
- Critically evaluate safe practice within a framework of continuous professional practice, professional accountability and responsibility within prescribing practice.
- Engage in focused critical reflection on the process of continuing professional development related to prescribing practice.
- Demonstrate scholarly understanding of the importance of record keeping in the context of prescribing practices.
- Critically determine the public health issues related to medicine use.
- When working with children demonstrate an ability to take an appropriate history, undertake a clinical assessment and make an appropriate decision based on that assessment to either diagnose or refer, having considered the legal, cognitive, emotional and physical differences between children and adult.