Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO4, 7)
Assignment: Importance of Theory
The purpose of this assignment is to a) identify a nursing theory, b) analyze the importance of the selected theory to the nursing profession, c) summarize key concepts and relationships among the concepts of the selected nursing theory, d) present views of the selected theory on areas of specialization, and e) communicate ideas in a clear, succinct, and scholarly manner.
Through this assignment, the student will demonstrate the ability to:
· (CO#1) Analyze theories from nursing and relevant fields with respect to their components, relationships among the components, logic of the propositions, comprehensiveness, and utility to advanced nursing. (PO1)
· (CO#3) Communicate the analysis of and proposed strategies for the use of a theory in nursing practice. (PO3, 7, 10)
· (CO#4) Demonstrate logical and creative thinking in the analysis and application of a theory to nursing practice. (PO4, 7)
Sunday 11:59 PM MT at the end of Week 2
Total Points Possible: 100
Description of the Assignment
This assignment focuses on the importance of nursing theory within the profession. Selecting one nursing theory (non-nursing theories are not allowed), the nursing theory will be presented by identifying the key concepts present within the theory. The selected nursing theory will then be applied to ONE of the following professional nursing practice areas:
· Education (e.g. undergraduate, staff development, etc.)
· Leadership (e.g. nurse executive, manager, leader, etc.)
· Informatics (e.g. data management, etc.)
· Healthcare policy (e.g. application to local, state, national, or global healthcare concerns, etc.)
· Nurse practitioner
Criteria for Content
The introduction requires the following information.
· Statements about nursing theory in general
· Identification of the ONE nursing theory (non-nursing theories are not allowed) selected by the student to be used within this assignment. The specific selected nursing theory may be from any of the three categories of nursing theory (i.e. grand, middle-range, or practice), but must be a specific nursing theory (i.e. Orem, Roy, Benner, etc.); a category may not be used.
· Identification of the sections of the paper.