Identify and list as many symptoms of a mental illness that the character is exhibiting
Symptoms of mental illness assignment
Symptoms of a mental illness assignment
For this Assignment, you will work in groups assigned in Unit 4. For the character exhibiting abnormal behavior that you selected in Unit 4, write a 3 to 4-page double-spaced paper (excluding the title page and reference page) using the Assignment template in Course Documents to explain the following:
1. Name the movie and describe the character’s general behavior in question. “THE MOVIE IS SHREK”
“THE CHARACTER IS SHREK”
2. (a) Identify and list as many symptoms of a mental illness that the character is exhibiting (See DSM-5).
· (b) Referring to the DSM-5, the definition of abnormal behavior from the course textbook, and based on your observation of the character’s behavior in the movie, explain why the behavior appears to be abnormal?
· (c) Based on the DSM-5, which mental disorder do you believe the character’s symptoms best represent?
· (d) Are there any indications that suggest the character may have a different mental disorder other than the one you have listed in C? If so, why did you dismiss other possible disorders over your chosen disorder?
3. Was the movie’s portrayal of the character convoluted or normalized making the distinction of abnormal behavior from that of normal behavior blurred? Explain what cultural influences can make it difficult to identity symptoms of mental disorder. For example, was part of the movie a comedy that joked about the character’s behavior, such as Jim Carrey in the movie Me, Myself, and Irene, was addictive behavior normalized, was the behavior downplayed as simply teenage behavior gone “bad”, or was the behavior glamorized as a damsel in distress being saved by a hero?