WK10 NRNP 6675
Assignment 2: National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) Competencies
The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties (NONPF) has determined nine broad areas of core competence that apply to all nurse practitioners, regardless of specialty or patient population focus. NONPF created the first set of Nurse Practitioner Competencies in 1990; the most recent updates were incorporated in 2017. This course was designed to prepare you to synthesize knowledge gained throughout the program and to apply each of the nine core competencies within your selected areas of practice and your representative communities.
The nine areas of competency are:
· Scientific Foundations
· Practice Inquiry
· Technology and Information Literacy
· Health Delivery System
· Independent Practice
· Review this week’s Learning Resources, focusing on the NONPF Core Competencies Content.
For each of the nine NONPF competencies, write one paragraph explaining how the program has prepared you to meet the competency (for a total of at least nine paragraphs). Then, propose how you plan to engage in social change in your community as a nurse practitioner. Finally, describe 1–2 legislative and/or advocacy activities in which your state nurse practitioner organization(s) are involved. Be specific and provide examples.
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
American Nurses Credentialing Center. (n.d.). Psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioner (across the lifespan) certification (PMHNP-BC).
· Scroll to ANCC Study Aids – Free for sample test questions and study guides to help you prepare for your certification exam.
Buppert, C. (2021). Nurse practitioner’s business practice and legal guide (7th ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
· Chapter 12, “Lawmaking and Health Policy”
· Chapter 14, “Standards of Care for Nurse Practitioner Practice”
· Chapter 15, “Measuring Nurse Practitioner Performance”
The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (2017). Nurse practitioner core competencies. https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.nonpf.org/resource/resmgr/competencies/20170516_NPCoreCompsContentF.pdf
The National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties. (n.d.). National organization of nurse practitioner faculties. https://www.nonpf.org/
Stewart, J. G., & DeNisco, S. M. (2019). Role development for the nurse practitioner (2nd ed.). Jones & Bartlett Learning.
· Chapter 11, “Concepts of the Professional”
· Chapter 12, “Health Policy and the Nurse Practitioner”
· Chapter 14, “Mentoring”