Assignment: Psychotherapy for Clients with Addictive Disorders
Addictive disorders can be particularly challenging for clients. Not only do these disorders typically interfere with a client’s ability to function in daily life, but they also often manifest as negative and sometimes criminal behaviors. Sometime clients with addictive disorders also suffer from other mental health issues, creating even greater struggles for them to overcome. In your role, you have the opportunity to help clients address their addictions and improve outcomes for both the clients and their families.
· Review the Learning Resources and consider the insights they provide about diagnosing and treating addictive disorders. As you watch the 187 Models of Treatment for Addiction video – consider what treatment model you may use the most with clients presenting with addiction.
· Use the attached article from the Walden Library database to complete the assignment – “Effectiveness of an app-based intervention to reduce substance use, gambling, and digital media use in vocational school students: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial”
The Assignment – instructions
In a 7- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, address the following. Your title and references slides do not count toward the 5- to 10-slide limit.
· Provide an overview of the article.
· What population (individual, group, or family) is under consideration?
· What was the specific intervention that was used? Is this a new intervention or one that was already studied?
· What were the author’s claims?
· Explain the findings/outcomes of the study in the article. Include whether this will translate into practice with your own clients. If so, how? If not, why?
· Explain whether the limitations of the study might impact your ability to use the findings/outcomes presented in the article.
· Use the Notes function of PowerPoint to craft presenter notes to expand upon the content of your slides.
· Support your response with at least three other peer-reviewed, evidence-based sources. Explain why each of your supporting sources is considered scholarly. Provide references to your sources on your last slide. Be sure to include the article you used as the basis for this Assignment ( see below).
(American Psychological Assoc.)
Arnaud, N., Weymann, J., Lochbühler, K., Pietsch, B., Rossa, M., Kraus, L., Thomasius, R., Hanewinkel, R., & Morgenstern, M. (2022). Effectiveness of an app-based intervention to reduce substance use, gambling, and digital media use in vocational school students: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 23(1), 1–10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13063-022-06231-x